Re: [ecasound] SuperEcasound (was: Re: Music-specific features)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] SuperEcasound (was: Re: Music-specific features)
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 01:17:57 EEST

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:39:09 +0300 (EEST)
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Nolan J. Darilek wrote:
>
> > Ecasound works well in a strictly time-based setting, but I struggle
> > when making music. Specifically, I pick a tempo, and from that point
> > on I think strictly in measures. With ecasound I'm stuck converting
> > measures to absolute times, and my mind can't handle math and music
>
> I feel that this and many other similar features should be implemented
> conceptually at a higher level... SuperEcasound!

[...]
> There are quite a few ideas that could be added to the new interface
> layer:
>
> - support for custom timeformats (hh:mm:ss, SMPTE, etc)
> - scheduling of ECI commands (timestamping/sequencing)
> - position markers (search the list archive for posts written by
> Julien Claassen and Jeremy Hall concerning this feature)
> - command aliases
> - command macros
> - user-interface capable of realtime feedback
> - etc, etc, etc
>
> Now personally I'm going to continue concentrating on maintaining and
> improving the Ecasound core, so I won't have time to start SuperEcasound
> development. But I sure welcome anyone to start work on the project!

allright. here is a start:

http://www.iki.fi/jhalttun/dist/secasound-0.1.tar.gz

currently it's only rudimentary wrapper of EIAM with marker support and inline documentation thrown in.

so:

---cut---

seca> marker_set first
marker "first" at 0.
seca> cs-set-position-samples 3898

seca> marker_set second
marker "second" at 3898.
seca> go first
went to "first" at 0

or just:

seca> first
went to "first" at 0

and:

seca> doc -eemt
ENVELOPE MODULATION
,-eemt
args: bpm,depth-%

 Tremolo effect (tremolo speed given as beats-per-minute).

---cut---

bugs are propable. also feedback from ecasound is currently quite low, even though debug level is set to 511. no commandline parsing yet.

please let know if it works for you. improvement suggestions are welcome.

janne