Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording
From: u.jochum_AT_arcor.de
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 21:46:37 EEST

Captain Boiler wrote on August 10 17:48

> So far, I haven't performed and ALSA compiling myself yet, I use a
> precompiled package which came with SuSE 8.1. You need a lot of
> stuff to be present for running a compilation (make, autoconf, lots
> of header files...the requirements are listed somewhere on the ALSA
> site. So grab your distro-CD, fill up your hard disk with lots of
> devel-packages and tools and try again..).

That's what I tried this afternoon... I had an almost two-hours
download for all the kernel-sources and headers that Alsa needs to
compile, but then it didn`t compile. But I will try it again,
patiently, on one of the coming weekends...

> You might as well just try to install a precompiled binary ALSA form
> SuSe or Redhat, most probably they offer the package on their
> websites. It may pay off, if one may trust the ALSA website, no
> recording probs are to be expected with the ESS Solo.

Thanks for that hint. As far as I know there is a way to transform
alien packages into debian-packages. So I will look for a precompiled
Alsa rpm-package. But the prospect to recompile my kernel doesn't
sound very encouraging, well, anyway...

> If all else fails: get another soundcard ... :-)

That's my last resort! Really!

Thanks again to Carsten and to all helpers!

Uwe