Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording
From: S. Massy (smassy_AT_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 20:19:31 EEST

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, u.jochum_AT_arcor.de <u.jochum_AT_arcor.de> wrote:

>snip<

> Neither the commercial OSS nor ALSA could be installed on my
> machine, no matter what I tried (for ALSA I tried ap-get AND the
> direct download of the newest ALSA and then doing the usual
> ./configure;make;make install --- nothing worked...). After five hours
> of working I feel rather exhausted.
Yes, ALSA can definitely be painstaking to install, but once you have
succeeded things will be dream-like. If you use Debian, you need to
install all the alsa related packages; then you need to __recompile__
your kernel, making sure to disable OSS support but to leave soundcore
enabled; and finally you need to compile and install the drivers. If you
do things that way, you should be fine.
And, regardless of what you hear, ALSA is the only way to go if you want
to do some decent recording, or so I think.