Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording
From: S. Massy (smassy_AT_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 17:38:35 EEST

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, u.jochum_AT_arcor.de <u.jochum_AT_arcor.de> wrote:

> This is a little bit off topic, but I need the help of you experts:
>
> I am unable to record audio on my Linux PC, but I can't figure out
> why.
>
> This is what I have:
>
> - Knoppix Linux (based on Debain Linux)
> - a TerraTec Sound Card PCI 128 i (it works)
> - ecasound (works too)
> - aumix (works too)
> - /dev/dsp exists, with owner, group and others having rights to read
> and write on that device
>
> I have sound on my PC, I can play CDs, I can use XMMS, and I can use
> ecasound to play wave-files or to convert file-formats.
>
> When I connect a microphone to the soundcard, I can choose the volume
> of the microphone using aumix. So sound goes into the machine, and the
> software works to mute/unmute and to master the volume. That seems
> o.k. too.
>
> But when I do this
>
> ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:test.wav
>
> to record some sound I only have, after stopping ecasound, an empty
> file "test.wav" (the file is not completely empty, it always has 44
> k). Always. No matter what I do. I also tried to record sound using
> other devices than ecasound (audacity for instance), but always the
> same result: an emty file with 44 k.
>
> Seems that I either missed some detail (stupid enough) or that there is
> some major problem that I'm unable to detect.
>
> Any hind would be welcome!
I'm surprised you're not at least getting some kind of error message.
What about sox's `rec' utility: does it say anything after you started
it? Is there enough space where you're putting your wave-file? Knoppix
has a few (two, actually) ramdisks; you should make sure that you're
indeed writing your file to a hard-drive. Is there any strange message
in your log, something about I/O errors maybe?