Toruble with audio recording

Subject: Toruble with audio recording
From: u.jochum_AT_arcor.de
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 12:06:38 EEST

This is a little bit off topic, but I need the help of you experts:

I am unable to record audio on my Linux PC, but I can't figure out
why.

This is what I have:

- Knoppix Linux (based on Debain Linux)
- a TerraTec Sound Card PCI 128 i (it works)
- ecasound (works too)
- aumix (works too)
- /dev/dsp exists, with owner, group and others having rights to read
  and write on that device

I have sound on my PC, I can play CDs, I can use XMMS, and I can use
ecasound to play wave-files or to convert file-formats.

When I connect a microphone to the soundcard, I can choose the volume
of the microphone using aumix. So sound goes into the machine, and the
software works to mute/unmute and to master the volume. That seems
o.k. too.

But when I do this

ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:test.wav

to record some sound I only have, after stopping ecasound, an empty
file "test.wav" (the file is not completely empty, it always has 44
k). Always. No matter what I do. I also tried to record sound using
other devices than ecasound (audacity for instance), but always the
same result: an emty file with 44 k.

Seems that I either missed some detail (stupid enough) or that there is
some major problem that I'm unable to detect.

Any hind would be welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Uwe