Re: [ecasound] a poor man's road to multitrack recording ...

Subject: Re: [ecasound] a poor man's road to multitrack recording ...
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 11:40:48 EET

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Carsten Bauer wrote:

>>Erm... you mean, you want different channel for the just-recorded audio
>>and don't want mixed down sound?
> yeah, to process the tracks differently befor the final mixdown

So when you do:

-a:1 -i monitor.wav -o alsa,emu10k1
-a:2 -i alsa,emu10k1 -o new-file.wav

... does material from monitor.wav end up in new-file.wav (it shouldn't)?

> I'm already using gamix, and have toggled and switched everytthing which I
> could find on the screen - no way ...
> The Audigy card has 32 pcm's , you can route each chain to a separate one and

Try alsamixer. There should be some which for monitoring level (or an
on/off switch), i.e. how much signal coming to line-in/mic-in will be
directly mixed to audio output (directly in hw).

Normally it's good to use this "hw monitoring" while recording so you can
hear what you are playing with minimum latency. On the other hand, for
instance for effect processing you usually only want to hear the processed
output (-> hw-monitoring off).

> should be separable physically. Maybe this is only possible for highprice
> cards...

I have tried dozens of different cards on Linux and so far all have had
this hw-monitoring feature. For instance with my ens1371 (sb128) and
alsamixer, I select 'Line' as the record source with spacebar (you should
see the "CAPTUR" in red over the control, and then turn off all the volume
for the 'Line'. Now I can record from 'Line' without hw-monitoring. If I
turn up the 'Line' control, I will start hearing the line-in. Sometimes I
have to adjust the 'Capture' control to set the overall input gain.