Re: [ecasound] Tutorials and Articles page online

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Tutorials and Articles page online
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 13:38:11 EET

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, smoerk wrote:

> I didn't complain about documentation before, because it's quite good
> for an oss project, but i do it now and try to argument from a user's
> point of view :-). i think there are too many different documents with

Please do... I won't promise that I will necessary fix anything, but
complaints are always welcome! ;)

> similar content, which means the user have too many choices where to
> start. the addition of the Tutorial link makes it even worse. i think it
> would be a good idea to merge Examples, Troubleshooting, the User's
> guide and the Man page to one document. this would be a lot of work and
> can only be done, if somebody has the time for this (i doubt i have),
> but it should be the goal to have one User's Manual, which could be
> printed and includes everything I have to know as a user.

Well, first I wanted to separate reference material (man pages) and
introductory material (the rest). I think this is a good thing. As for
others, having all of the material in the user's guide would be indeed a
good thing, but I've now come to realize that this will never happen. :(
Even if somebody made the huge effort of writing a complete user's guide,
who will have time to maintain it?

So as a plan B, I want to take a best-effort approach to this problem. The
key thing about the new tutorial page is it contains links to offsite
docs. This is good because a) the docs don't go through me, b) obsolete
docs are not that big of a problem (I can just add a obsolete note to the
link description), and c) the entry-level for writing docs should be lower
(no need to use latex, ecasound html style, etc, etc, you can use anything
you wish, as long as the info is useful).

For instance, I'd say Dave's article about LADSPA should be very useful
to most ecasound users. You can't find similar info anywhere in the
currently existing docs.

Btw; the troubleshooting link actually points to the user's guide.

> btw, the "Ecasound Tutorial (de)" is mostly in english (seems copy and
> pasted from ecasound documentation).

Yeah, but at least some German. ;)