Buffer underruns and lost samples

Subject: Buffer underruns and lost samples
From: Mikko Nummelin (mnummeli_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 10:55:11 EET

Yesterday evening I experimented with ecasound 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 (tried to
record from a microphone in usual multitrack recording), and after
some 30 seconds of normal operation, these annoying Buffer
underrun/overrun - samples lost -messages started to pop on the screen and
from my earphones I could hear many audible glitches, clicks and pops.
I was using an AMD Athlon 1900+ with Linux from scratch 4.0 mixed with
various BLFS-, Slackware and Debian packages, kernel 2.4.20, first with X
then without X, and the problem always appears. Are there some parameters
that I should specify in the chainsetup besides these usual ones (don't
have the exact chainsetup here):

-f:16,1,44100 -a:1 -i track1.wav -erc:1,2 -a:2 -i track2.wav -erc:1,2 -a:3
-i alsahw,0,0 -o track3.wav -a:1,2 -o alsahw,0,0

This problem is NOT present in my AMD K6 with Slackware Linux 8.1

Mikko Nummelin