Re: Buffer underruns and lost samples

Subject: Re: Buffer underruns and lost samples
From: Mikko Nummelin (mnummeli_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 09:25:00 EET

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

>> Yesterday evening I experimented with ecasound 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 (tried to
>> record from a microphone in usual multitrack recording), and after
>> some 30 seconds of normal operation, these annoying Buffer
>> underrun/overrun - samples lost -messages started to pop on the screen and
>> from my earphones I could hear many audible glitches, clicks and pops.
>> I was using an AMD Athlon 1900+ with Linux from scratch 4.0 mixed with
>> various BLFS-, Slackware and Debian packages, kernel 2.4.20, first with X
>> then without X, and the problem always appears. Are there some parameters
>> that I should specify in the chainsetup besides these usual ones (don't
>> have the exact chainsetup here):

> You need to tell us about your soundcard.

Soundblaster Live!

Anyway, I continued my experiments and could get most stabile results by
setting -b:8192 in the chainsetup and turning X off. Anyway, it still
wan't perfect as those error messages appeared occasionally (in 1 out of 5
attempts of 4'30'' take). With lesser buffer or X on, the situation was
really hopeless.

Mikko Nummelin