Re:[ecasound] Xmas, effect switching with midi footswitches

Subject: Re:[ecasound] Xmas, effect switching with midi footswitches
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 00:18:57 EET

[resending this message, don't think it got through the first time ]

Raoul =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=F6nisch?= wrote on Wed, 25-Dec-2002:

> I use ecasound as a realtime effects processor for my guitar
> and would like to switch effect presets with my midi footswitches
> without any clicks and noises. One way is setting up several chains,
> muting them, unmute one for playing and then switch the "preset" with
>
> c-mute
> c-select <other-chain>
> c-mute
>
> A disadvantage is, that reverbs and delays wouldn't fade out but
> would immediatly be turned off. Another difficulty is, that I can't
> imagine a way to do all this with my footswitches except for writing
> a new application doing exactly this.
>
> Is there an easy way to switch effect presets with midi foot switches
> with the existing ecasound?

No, you would either need to write an application using ecasound's
ECI interface and handle the MIDI program changes *or* patch
ecasound to do what you need. I've patched ecasound to allow
MIDI program changes to optionally switch between different
chainsetups (not just chains) for a realtime FX processor I've
made with ecasound. I am just now getting my changes working
with the latest ecasound CVS, and when everything is straightened out
I will post here with info. I don't address your reverb-tail
problem... I just switch chainsetups indiscriminately. Also
included are modifications to support controlling things like
the sooperlooper plugin with a MIDI footswitch program changes.

Kai, I don't particularly like some of the things in my patches
(which is why I never posted them), they were quick solutions
to my immediate problems. I will likely redesign my FX box
architecture now that JACK is around and eliminate some of the
ugliness. I hope to post details of my current setup soon.

[after I resolve read/sync errors I've been getting using ECI
via python.... I'll probably post some questions here later]

jlc