Re: [ecasound] Xmas, effect switching with midi footswitches

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Xmas, effect switching with midi footswitches
From: Raoul Bönisch (jkl345_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 21:03:39 EET

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 12:21:46PM +0200, janne halttunen wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 22:56:46 +0100
> Raoul Bönisch <jkl345_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> # amplify, midi controller and reverb
> -ea 100 -km 1,0,100,number_of_your_midi_control,number_of_midi_channel \
> -ete 10,100,100
>
> In theory, this should mute and unmute your effect-chain, if you have the right control and channel specified.

That's a nice idea. Actually I use my midi-pedal to control my
wah-wah, but I wouldn't have thought of that! :o)

> You can have these in several chains, controlling each with different controller.

I see the disadvantage of having to first mute the one and then
unmute the other chain "by foot". A simple click on a button to
switch effects would be nicer. Or I would have to build a special
"double" button which even stays pressed on one chain.

> Downside is that you need the processing power for all your effects simultaneusly.

Is that true. I didn't know this. I though muted chains would not
need processing power. So my idea of realizing effects switching
by foot is not the best unfortunately. I would have to rethink it.
I don't know if only -ea:0 doesn't prevent processing or even
c-mute.

I think switching chainsetups instead would be a better idea.
Unfortunately both will not work with your idea to mute chains.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

        ra