Re: [ecasound] buffering question

Subject: Re: [ecasound] buffering question
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 20:24:49 EET

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 05:16:19PM +0100, smoerk wrote:
> but for your application it's better to use big buffer sizes to avoid
> any drop outs.

did a bit of testing that ...

man-page says the -b: option gives the buffer size in samples, and that
the default was 1024 .. so I was thinking to meself, if I got this
right, we are sampling analog audio at 44100 Hz, so if I had a buffer of
44100 Samples, that would be equal to 1 second of a buffer, which is
really not much when I want to be certain there are no dropouts
(or is this wrong?)

so I thought 1024 samples is much less, and I was gonna try a little bit
more, say maybe 10240 samples .. but what I get is the following:
ecasound -b:10240 -i:alsa,default -o:test.wav
* ecasound v2.2.0-rc2 (C) 1997-2002 Kai Vehmanen
- [ Session created ] ------------------------------------------------------
- [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ] -----------------------------------------
(eca-chainsetup-parser) Setting buffersize to (samples) 10240.
- [ Connecting chainsetup ] ------------------------------------------------
(eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
(eca-control) ERROR: Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling chainsetup:
              AUDIOIO-ALSA: buffersize 10240 is out of range!"

strange .. this buffer, as I understood it, is it not created in Memory?
so it shouldn't be possible for it to be "out of range" as long as I
don't run out of RAM, right?

the highest possible value that is a multiple of 1024 (just tried those
for starters) that doesn't give me an error like the above, was 2048 ..

Now, like I said, maybe I'm wrong about this, but this doesn't sound
like a lot, does it?

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key