resampling question

Subject: resampling question
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 20:15:56 EET

another question .. is there a way to resample a wav or raw file from,
say, 48000 Hz to 44100 Hz using ecasound? or should I use sox for that
or some such tool?

I been recording some sound-snippets from a DVD via spdif, and of course
those are in 48 kHz .. but I want to use them on a CD, and for that I
need 44.1 kHz ..

what I found in the manpage was to use something like
ecasound -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i:resample,48000,in.wav -o:out.wav
(this is 2.2.0 as in CVS on .. uh monday I think)

... but this doesn't sound too good .. there's quite a lot of background
noise in the resulting file, while the original sounds quite clean ..

is this just technically not possible (but then, how do they do it when
they transfer Music from DAT to CD?), am I doing something wrong, or is
it just wiser to use another tool for this job?

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key