Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1

Subject: Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1
From: Junichi Uekawa (dancer_AT_netfort.gr.jp)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 13:44:34 EET

> One thing I'd like to do is to split the libecasound files into multiple
> directories, each of which would build one libsubmod.a library. These
> sublibs would be used to build the main libecasound.a. This might speed up
> the compilation quite a bit (currently the final libecasound link-stage is
> a real machine-killer :)). This change would also make the program
> structure easier to understand. But you really can't do this with shared
> libs... unless you require libecasound clients to link against n+1
> different libs.

I think I get what you mean.

However, newer versions of automake and autoconf and libtool have
fixed quite a few problems and I think it's less problematic to use shared
libraries now.

I was thinking about doing something like:

-libecasound_la_LDFLAGS = -export-dynamic $(eca_ldflags) -static
+libecasound_la_LDFLAGS = -export-dynamic $(eca_ldflags) -release @VERSION@

Also, inter-lib dependencies between non-installed libraries
handling in libtool seems to be fixed now.

regards,
        junichi