Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1

Subject: Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1
From: Junichi Uekawa (dancer_AT_netfort.gr.jp)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 10:35:22 EET

Hi,

> this is it, the first release candidate. If no serious
> bugs are found, I'll release it as 2.2.0 (in a few weeks
> or so).

Hmm.. I've finally caught up with the work, and I'd like to
comment on a few things. (and I have been flying around and
running around and doing other things in my real life, away
from my local computer ...)

I would like to have shared libraries back, if it is possible,
because it would be benefitial in terms of disk space and
version control.

It might be difficult and tyresome to maintain a shared library
versioning with libecasound.so.8, but it might be easier to do
with libecasound-x.x.x.so.0 kind of versioning (expressing that
ABI is different on every version), like binutils is using.

Although that will require every binary linked against ecasound
to be re-linked, but that will be the same with static libs, and
it has an advantage that they are actually shared libs, so they
take less diskspace in total, and other things.

regards,
        junichi