Re: [ecasound] "-ev" vs. ecasignalview

Subject: Re: [ecasound] "-ev" vs. ecasignalview
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:51:06 EEST

On 24 Oct 2002, Adam Linson wrote:

> is it possible to have the "-ev" flag somehow spit out the analysis
> stats during continual processing, rather than only when read/write is
> completed? it wouldn't have to be "real" real-time, but say, once per
> second or so. the problem is, i only have one sound card and cannot use
> ecasignalview with ecasound simultaneously accessing /dev/dsp. (if it
> isn't "standard", any tips on a hack would be much appreciated.)

This is just the use-case I want to solve with the NetECI + ecamonitor
[1,2].

Basicly, you start ecasound with 'ecasound -c --daemon', and then in a
separate terminal start 'ecamonitor' (comes with the latest 2.2.0-preX
releases). Ecamonitor is able to show current positions of audio objects,
effect parameter values, etc, all in real-time.

If you add an '-ev' or '-evp' (monitor peak volumes, suits better for
ecamonitor) to your ecasound setup, you can see see the current signal
levels using ecamonitor.

> also, i noticed in the archive a one-time suggestion to control the
> number of loops when using "-tl" or .ewf's, but couldn't tell if this
> had ever been acknowledged as a development goal. any word on this
> feature?

Yes, this is covered by edi-7. Unfortunately not much has happened in
recent times. What I'd really like to do is to clean up all ewf-code, see
edi-20 [4]. This also means that improvements to current ewf code are on a
low-priority, at least for now.

> and lastly, just out of curiosity, what does "eca" stand for anyways?

I don't actually remember. :) I do remember that it stands for something,
but what... ugh, any good guesses? :)

[1]
http://cvs.seul.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb-1.80.cgi/sound/ecasound/Documentation/edi-27.txt?rev=1.1
[2]