Re: [ecasound] ogg / streaming / ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ogg / streaming / ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 18:18:19 EEST

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Smoerk wrote:

> I would asume that I have to resample every stream to the same sample
> rate (because it's possible, that sample rate will change for one
> stream/channel). I'm not sure how to do this and what ogg123 do, when
> the sample rate changes in the ogg stream (which is possible). But there
> is surely one solution for this.

If ogg123 works like mpg123, it will do the sampling rate conversion
internally. In other words it will always output decoded data at the
sampling rate that was set upon startup.

> But I really don't have any idea how to write silence to fifos. If there
> is net congestion ogg123 I have automatically write silence to the fifo.
> this means I need a programm between ogg123 which counts the bits and if
> there are to few it should add silence. I don't have any idea how to do
> this.

I'd suggest using - for each client (using JACK+ecasound):

ogg123 http://myhost/stream.ogg | ecasound -i stdin -o jack_alsa

Ecasound's double-buffering layer will handle the input buffering (by
default the buffer size is multiple seconds, can be increased to
be even larger).

JACK server will take care of mixing the N input streams to the ALSA
pcm output.