Re: [ecasound] ogg / streaming / ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ogg / streaming / ecasound
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 01:46:54 EEST

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:07:14 +0300
Smoerk <smoerk_AT_gmx.de> wrote:

> Thanks, I really forgot that there are named pipes on Unix.
>
> I would asume that I have to resample every stream to the same sample
> rate (because it's possible, that sample rate will change for one
> stream/channel). I'm not sure how to do this and what ogg123 do, when
> the sample rate changes in the ogg stream (which is possible). But there
> is surely one solution for this.

Hmm, I think it would be best if there were a decided number of chains for certain samplerates. I don't think samplerates can be changed dynamically in ecasound. We can only assume that ogg123 resamples changed samplerate to the original, otherwise we'd be lost.

> But I really don't have any idea how to write silence to fifos. If there
> is net congestion ogg123 I have automatically write silence to the fifo.
> this means I need a programm between ogg123 which counts the bits and if
> there are to few it should add silence. I don't have any idea how to do
> this.

Yes, it does go bit further than basic scripting. Non-blocking input-objects in ecasound would help somewhat.

Smoerk <smoerk_AT_gmx.de> wrote:

> maybe I could use alsaplayer with jack output and ecasound with jack
> input. do you think it's possible? I have no experience with jack, but
> maybe it's a better way than using named pipes. and maybe it solves the
> blocking problem? I have to try (not sure if I will understand how to
> use jack, but I will try).

I have no idea how the jack subsystem works in ecasound, or what'll jack do if the required number of samples is not available when wanted. I guess you'd have to experiment. :)

janne