Re: [ecasound] help needed with eci syntax

Subject: Re: [ecasound] help needed with eci syntax
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 00:59:16 EEST

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Tony Leake wrote:

> However if I change it to:
> cs-add chains
> ai-add /dev/dsp
> ao-add /dev/dsp
> ai-add /tmp/01follow_me.mp3
> ao-add /tmp/01follow_me.mp3
> c-add t1
> ai-select /tmp/01follow_me.mp3
> ai-attach
> ao-select /dev/dsp
> ao-attach
> cs-connect
> start
[...]
> This crashes my machine (Mandrake Linux). Now it has to be something to do
> with having the same file or device set up as inputs and outputs but I'm

Actually this is a completely valid sequence of EIAM commands.
Have you checked whether 'cs-connect' succeeds? I created a similar setup
replacing 01follow_me.mp3 with my good ol' foo.wav and it worked (w/
2.1dev-cvs).

One thing to check is that there are no other chains than 't1'. It's not
legal to have a chain that has no input and/or no output. In other words,
all chains of the chainsetup-to-be-connected must be valid. On the other
hand, it _is_ legal to have inputs/outputs that are not connected to any
chains (like is the case in your example above).

> I know this doesn't make much sense in interactive mode but in an
> application i find it easy to add all possible inputs and outputs up front
> then just connect them as needed.

That sounds reasonable.