Re: [ecasound] Sound Cards

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Sound Cards
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 01:32:36 EEST

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 linuxmedia2_AT_netscape.net wrote:

> Could the members of this list please let me know what each of you are
> using. And could you tell me the pros and cons of each card (when using
> it with ecasound).

You should probably ask about this also on the linux-audio-user mailing
list. See <http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribelau.php3>. In
general, cards that have good ALSA and/or OSS support will work fine with
ecasound.

Two cards I've used a lot with ecasound are ens1371 and midiman
delta44. Ens1371 (originally an ensoniq card, later sold by creative under
name sb128) is a good cheap cards for analog stereo recording and output.
Midiman is a 4in/4out (24bit/96kHz) card based on the ice1712 chipset.

There are many other ice1712-based products on the market, and most of
them should work just as well in Linux. Also RME's multichannel cards have
good Linux support. Best source for information is the ALSA mailing lists
(and the archives). See <http://www.alsa-project.org> and
<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/>.

> Also, what is the highest bit rate one could record at with ecasound
> (assuming I had a card that could handle the bit rate)?

The highest supported sample resolution is 32 bits, but as there's no
upper limit for the sampling rate, the bitrate is not limited.