Re: [ecasound] Ecasound with jackd

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound with jackd
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 01:19:19 EEST

Hi,

On 24 Sep 2002, Gerrit Niestijl wrote:

> Ecasound works ok with alsahw. Jackd starts OK with:
> jackd -d alsa -d cmipci -r 44100 &
[...]
> When i try:
> ecasound -i test.wav -o jack_alsa,myport
[...]
> the sound comes very scrambled.

I think this is a jackd issue. I found the following from
jack-devel archives:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=2016557

Seems similar to your case.

> Ecasound tells me it is writing to jack with the format f32_le.
> It seems to me this should be s16_le,
> because that is what my soundcard can handle (cmipci card). Is that
> correct? How can i change the format? it makes no difference if i use
> -f:s16_le,2,44100.

Use of 'f32_le' (32bit floating-point) is correct, as it is the
audio format used in communication between JACK clients and the jackd
server. Jackd, which does the actual soundcard i/o, will first try to open
devices in mode s32_le, and only if that fails, revert to s16_le. Other
sample formats are not supported at the moment. But anyways, I don't this
is causing the problems.