Re: [ecasound] stability of the 2.1devX series

Subject: Re: [ecasound] stability of the 2.1devX series
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 13:20:35 EEST

well, I'm using 2.1dev11 here and have been for a while .. seems to work
nicely for what I'm doing, which is plain vanilla stereo-recording via
line-in most of the time, although with the largefile-thing as a main
point ...

so I know that works very well .. apart from that I'm not doing much
with it, except amplifying stuff after recording and then sometimes
cutting it into pieces ...

there's a problem I just discovered:
I got a TerraTec EWX 24/96 which, according to what is printed on the
box, is able to record and play at 24 bits/ 96kHz ... so after reading
your message I wanted to try that .. put a record on the Turntable,
started
ecasound -f:s24_le,2,96000 -ev -i:alsa,default -o:test-24-96.raw

and recorded .. the first funny thing I noticed was that, even though
envy24control showed on its meters that the signal definitely was rather
weak (I'd have guessed an amplification value of about 300% for it),
ecasound told me afterwards that it couldn't be amplifyed without
clipping.

I tested playback with
ecasound -f:s24_le,2,96000 -i:test-24-96.raw -o:alsa,default

but hit ctrl-c very fast because there was only static noise coming out
of my speakers (which were rather expensive, so I'd rather not ruin them)

has anyone succeeded in recording 24 bit/96 kHz Audio with this Card?

if yes, how so?

Can't really help you with the complicated recording-session thing. I'm
mostly doing simple stuff. (ecasound is kinda my radio-VCR *grin*)

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key