[ecasound] next problem: ice1712, device name?

Subject: [ecasound] next problem: ice1712, device name?
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 02:20:24 EEST

ok, now I got the next puzzling problem ..

I decided to use the cvs-version .. new version is always nicest, for
some reason ...

now I wanted to try ecasound with my shiny new soundcard, which is a
Terratec EWX 24/96 ...

so I hooked up some digital input to the TOSLINK-In, made sure with
envy24control that the right inputs are selected and so on, and want to
start recording ..

I know that

ecasound -ev -t:20 -i:alsa,default -o:test.wav

works for analog input .. but which pcm-device-name should I use for
recording via TOS-link

i did
arecord -L
and get in the last two lines:
iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'

so .. those two kinda sound good .. but
ecasound -ev -t:20 -i:alsa,spdif -o:test.wav

only gets me:
eye_AT_lormoral test $ ecasound -ev -t:20 -i:alsa,spdif -o:test.wav
* ecasound v2.1dev11 (C) 1997-2002 Kai Vehmanen
- [ Session created ]
- [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ]
(eca-chainsetup-parser) Set processing time to 20.00.
- [ Connecting chainsetup ]
(eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
Aborted

so .. I am wondering .. how do I record, using the digital in on my
soundcard?

when I try with arecord, I get:
eye_AT_lormoral test $ arecord -D spdif -t wav -f cd -d 20 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
arecord: set_params:759: Sample format non available

(device hooked up is a Sony DVD-Player, playing an Audio-CD)

*scratches head alot*

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key