[ecasound] On edi-16, system for assigning controllers

Subject: [ecasound] On edi-16, system for assigning controllers
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 16:17:59 EEST

Hi all,

I am developing a higher level python interface to ecasound. I have collided with the inability to set controllers to an effect after the -kx switch, once more.

Consider the following test-code:

eca=Session()
ei=eca('ei', 56) # pitch shifter
kl=ei('kl2',0,23, range_high=32) # 2-stage linear envelope
kl('kl2', 0, range_low=32)

ei('kl2',1,3, range_high=2) # <-- this can't be done!

###

I think that imposing on a possible programmer that you can't add controllers to an effect after adding a controller-chain to it is restraining, not to mention hard to implement sanely. Ofcourse I could forbid controllers on controllers altogether, but I think this would nullify the advances of having this kind of programming environment somewhat.

So, what if we could have a new special switch, say, -ky? This would end the controller on controller chain and return focus to previous controller or effect. What do you think?

janne