Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names

Subject: Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 07:44:55 EEST

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

>> Any objections to using Debian-style library naming conventions
>> for ecasound libraries?
> One objection would be, wouldn't it be more load to maintain ?
> Much of the task is automated in Debian...

Yes, but releases of new library interfaces don't really happen often
(1.8->2.0 and now 2.0 -> 2.2) so this is not a big problem.

One thing this versioning thing is related to is development speed. I'd
like to get back to a faster release cycle (seems to be a common problem
nowadays). As long as it's difficult for users to install different
versions of various ecasound components, it's not practical to release new
library versions every other month.