Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names

Subject: Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names
From: Michael Carmack (karmak_AT_karmak.org)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 06:10:54 EEST

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 08:25:48PM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> 1. Long-term vs short-term
>
> Pkg-style solution doesn't help people using current
> Linux-distros; library versioning will be immediately
> useful and not limited to new distros

I agree with your reasoning here.

> 2. Pains of dynamic linking
>
> Compiling and linking against packages installed to
> non-standard (not in library/include path) is not
> a big problem, but runtime linking still is.
> When linking you can give only one -rpath option
> to the linker. That means you can only give one
> library directory not in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Are you sure about this? /etc/ld.so.conf doesn't even exist on my
systems, and I routinely compile with multiple -rpath specifications.
As the ldd output from ping shows in the online document, there are
several libraries picked up from various different directories, none
of which are standard.

BTW, if this is getting off-topic I don't mind continuing in private.
I'm curious if I understand your second assertion correctly though.

m.