Re: [ecasound] ecasound/jack

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound/jack
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 02:43:22 EET

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I think we need a way to specify both the client name and the port names,
> such that we can reliably know what this ecasound is called. As it stands
> now, it first tries ecasound, then ecasound_2 and so on until it gets a
> free client name. External scripts running jack_connect etc will need a
> reliable way to have the client name.

Yes, definitely needed. Any ideas for implementation? As things are now,
there's no way to pass arguments to ecasound audio manager objects (JACK
is currently the only manager type). Adding a new option to -i/-o doesn't
make much sense as client name is not port specific. Similarly using
~/.ecasoundrc doesn't make much sense.

> Alsa hasn't worked natively for me for quite some time, now playback
> doesn't work.

If there are any more critical/severe bugs, let me know.