Re: [ecasound] ecasound/jack

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound/jack
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 22:42:03 EET

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, S. Massy wrote:

> I'm trying to get the latest CVS of jack and ecasound to team up
> together but it's not working too well. Jackd is working fine, I can get
> the jack monitor utility to give me a good clean sound, however when I
> try something like:
> # ecasound -b:512 -f:16,2,44100 -i:jack_alsa,in -o:jack_alsa,out -c
> and then start the engine I get a LOUD buzz and nothing more. What might
> be going on here?

Hmm, something has gone wrong. How does it work with large buffersizes
(for instance -b:4096, remember to run jackd with -p 4096)?

> Few things I've noticed:
> - Alsa support is broken in latest CVS. (I believe that was mentioned by
> someone in a earlier message.)

Hmm, working fine here. How does it actually fail?

> - Either there's an oversight in the jack plugin code or ecasound is
> ignoring -f because if I start jackd with a sr of 48 Khz and try to
> tell ecasound about it -f:16,2,48000 it still complains about
> expecting a sr of 44.1.

Do you have some audio object in the same chainsetup with locked audio
format to 44.1kHz - for instance a wav-input with sample rate of 44100?
The current CVS-version doesn't have any resampling code, so if you have
objects with differing sample rates, processing will fail.

Also check that you are not overriding "default-audio-format" in your
~/.ecasound/ecasoundrc.

The ecasoundrc system is one problem item at the moment. As I've noted
before, it might not have been such a good idea to rely on ecasound always
finding the global ecasoundrc file. As it is now, if ecasound is not able
to find neither the global resource file nor a local rc-file, many
configurable values are set to nonsensical defaults (like a sample-rate of
-1Hz). Needless to say, this will cause ecasound to behave a bit funny. ;)

> Suggestion: It would be quite useful if there was a utility to list
> registered ports also possibly telling us what is connected to what.

'killall -v -USR1 jackd' and you get of list of all JACK clients, ports
and connections (printed on the jackd console).