Re: [ecasound] Jack and some other issues

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Jack and some other issues
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 22:30:33 EET

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> In the new year, Anthony wrote:
>> Am I using the right naming scheme here? I'm having a hard time
>> finding much on the lists regarding eca+jack. Maybe I'm getting ahead
> yeah Kai wrote a cryptic thing a few months back, I'll see if I can dig it
> up for you. You want jack_alsa,something and you'll get

Here're the four syntax alternatives:

# connect multiple channels to JACK client 'alsa_pcm' and its 'out'
# port
ecasound -i null -f:f32_le,X,44100 -o jack_multi,alsa_pcm:out,myport

# shorthand for 'jack_multi' for connection to ALSA input/output
# ports provided by jackd
ecasound -i null -f:f32_le,X,44100 -o jack_alsa,myport

# connect to just one port (= channel)
ecasound -i null -f:f32_le,1,44100 -o jack_mono,alsa_pcm:out_X,myport

# just create a JACK port and publish it on the JACK network;
# do _not_ make any connections
ecasound -i null -f:f32_le,X,44100 -o jack_generic,myport

Ecasound's man page also has brief description of the JACK input/output
types.

> I happen to believe the possibilities for specifying jack ports are
> limited, but I cannot think of a better method right now.

Another possible long-term solution is a general purpose patchbay
application for making connections between JACK apps and their ports.