Re: [ecasound] ecasound on dell laptop working

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound on dell laptop working
From: De Clarke (de_AT_ucolick.org)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 04:44:01 EET

The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:47:08AM -0800, De Clarke wrote:
> >
> apart from using -c for interactive mode you can use the -t switch ...

oh, sorry, for some reason I thought -c was the default. I'll
try it out.

> I really like bcast2000 as a wav-editor (fadings and all that, zoom into
> wave-forms and so on) .. but it's not developed any more and the
> developer has taken it off its site .. apparently some legal fears on
> his side regarding DMCA-stuff and so on ... (sucks!)

I was very, very disappointed to find that this package (about which
I had heard such good things) had been taken off the site because of
(imho) foolish litigiousness on the part of people unwilling to take
responsibility for their own risk assumption.

> > I can hear a loss of quality in the mp3 output, but the compression
> > is about 10 to 1 and the quality loss is not nearly that large :-)
> > so I am impressed.
> >

> lame --longhelp *grin*
>
> try: lame -h --vbr-new -V 3 somefile.wav somefile.mp3 for a start ...
> or straightforward lame -h -b 192 somefile.wav somefile.mp3 ...

wow. I can see I have a lot of reading to do. where I used to have
a 19in rack full of gizmos with lots of knobs, now I have zillions
of cmd line options fo explore.

> bandpass is already too far for me .. and all the other stuff ..
> compressor, oscillator, gate and so forth . those are all words I know,
> but apparently used in a context where they get a different meaning ..

sounds like there's a need for a HOWTO for ecasound, as in perhaps
mapping its features to the way one used to do these things in the
old analog world -- i.e. "if you used to use a TimeLine or other
digital delay, this is how do do the same thing with ecasound"...
well, that's what this old fossil would like to read anyway :-)

> so .. are there any good documents I could read in order to get to know
> about these things?

I want to know about them too :-)

does anyone know of anyone offering to turn existing 8 track ADAT tapes
into synchronizable WAV files?

de

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC:
:Mail: de_AT_ucolick.org |                                                     :
:Web: www.ucolick.org |             Don't Fear the Penguins                 :
:1024D/B9C9E76E           F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD  EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E: