Re: [ecasound] time based mixing functions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] time based mixing functions.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 00:15:56 EET

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:

>> but what we really need is automation. THat would *REALLY* *REALLY*
>> help! SUre you can change amplitude with kl2, but trying to control dozens
>> of these in a live mix situation would be pretty much unheard of. Having
> This is why eci exists. There is so much than can be achieved with ecasound.
> I found that writing an eci-front end with gui sliders etc really speeds up
> mixing. Also turning back to the question of doing fades. Using ewf is not

It's also possible to just use python/perl for mixing. Ie. for each song
you record and mix, write a dedicated python/perl script. It's quite easy
to add a small loop that executes ECI commands based on current
engine-position (--> automation).

And once you've written done the above once, you can use the script as a
template for future mixes.

> One question for you clever ecasounders out there. Implementing the volume
> control is a little bit of a problem. -ea takes a %+- but what is really
> needed is a way to set the slider to a value relative to % of clipping value.
> Any ideas on a good solution?

That's quite a difficult problem as you need to maintain max-peak-value
for the whole track. And this again requires multiphase operation (like
ecanormalize has two phases: -ev + -ea).