Re: [ecasound] can I do this?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] can I do this?
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 21:08:40 EET

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Jeremy Hall <jhall_AT_uu.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to correctly deploy a noise gate, but am having quite a problem
> trying to make it trigger properly. WHat I want to do is create a chane
> that sets the conditions so the gate can easily tell when to activate and
> when not, but I want it to do this with another chane at a specific point
> in the execution of that chane. SO I need some way for chane 1 to tell
> chane 2 what to do with itself. How can this be done?
The framework to accomplish this is certainly there; it's called
audio-stamps (-eS) and has been implemented quite some time ago; however
only one controller has ever been implemented using this framework
(-ksv) and I think I must be the only one using it. I don't suppose it
would be too big a bother to make a version of the current noisegate
that would use the audio-stamps to decide whether it should open or not;
the only tricky part might be the channel mapping for multichannel
files, to specify which channel is being controlled. Audio-stamps are
chainOPs but that's not too bad because you just have to route one
channel in a separate chain with -erc to have it work properly but, as I
said, the situation might get a little bit more complicated if you have
lots of channels to deal with.