Re: [ecasound] XML solution experience

Subject: Re: [ecasound] XML solution experience
From: Alban Peignier (alban.peignier_AT_leuville.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 01:31:03 EET

le mer 07-11-2001 à 19:29, Bill Allen a écrit :

> what are the advantages of an xml-based ecasound driver vs.
> using ecs files ?

The xml files are used to generate the ecasound chainsetup file. The
main advantage is that the xml files can include logics which are
supported by the xsl transformer. My tiny example uses is able to
include other xml files, manage virtual definitions (the "summer" tag)
... without writing any C++ code line.

In my mind, the ecasound chainsetup file contains the instructions to
the sound processor that ecasound is and the xml files use a langage
which is "compiled" into ecasound instructions. It can simplify the
ecasound work and provide a highly powerful user tool.

> My largest project to date has been 6 tracks and this
> might have something to do with my question.
>
> 655 files! That is a ton of work.

I have never worked on a such larg full numeric project. We have 10
titles (6 to 10 minutes for each one). 4 drums tracks, 2 bass tracks, 2,
4 or 6 guitar tracks, 2 or 4 keyboard tracks. Many tracks are separated
into several parts (because of different rythms, different guitar sounds
...). And we have several versions of the same part ... It's an huge way
but there is no professionnal purpose in this project (the first drum
track is 4 years old ;) It's a good experience.

Alban - http://tryphon.homeip.net/~alban/xmlsound/