Re: [ecasound] loopback-devices with alsa >0.6

Subject: Re: [ecasound] loopback-devices with alsa >0.6
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 00:53:19 EEST

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:

> I read somewhere, that the loopback-devices, which one could use in alsa
> 0.5, were abbandoned with the next versions. Can one still do some
> loopback stuff with the newer alsa-versions (0.9 i.e.) and ecasound? I
> want to record some audio from e.g. /dev/dsp, which I can't record
> directly from its source. Is there a way to do it?

Not directly. There are hacks based on ALSA pcm-plugins, various
dsp-wrappers and sound daemons, but no standard and easy solutions at the
moment (at least nothing I no of). But I know there are lots of projects
aiming to solve this problem (multiple app access to sound hw
resources) in development.