Re: [ecasound] problem with .ewf in ecasound 2.0.1

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problem with .ewf in ecasound 2.0.1
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 00:50:53 EEST

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:

> Assume the three .ewf file 1.ewf, 2.ewf and 3.ewf. They all source
> different wave-files at different times. So the output should be 1.ewf
> before 2.ewf before 3.ewf. The ouput is put into my_song.wav. The part of
> my_song.wav, that represents 1.ewf is not as loud as the part, which
> represents 2.ewf, which in turn is not as loud as the part representing
> 3.ewf. But before I put them together, I normalized each part and while
> playing it real-time, I think I got better results. So what can I do about
> that problem. That is why I proposed a compressor to get the volumes of
> the three song-parts, already stored in my_song.wav nearly equivalent. Do
> have an idea, what might cause the problem?

This is either 1) ecasound bug; it shouldn't change the relative volume
level of the independent ewf files, or 2) the difference you are hearing
is normal variation in loudness (peak-normalizing is not the same as equal
loudness).

Possible things to try:

- load my_song.wav into an wave editor (ecawave, snd, audacity, ..)
  and check whether there are distinct differences in the
  waveform
- add an amplifier effect to each ewf-file chain and adjust
  the loudness manually...