Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.
From: Luke Tindall (luke_AT_maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 11:10:27 EEST

> Answering to an older message... btw; if you think I've missed some
> important post to ecasound-list, please repost or send a note. I have my
> mailboxes full of unanswered mail, and I now try to answer them in an
> utilitarian way (ie. issues concerning majority of ecasound users have
> priority).
>
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:
> > I'm getting dropped samples with the following:
>
> [...]
>
> > ecasound -c -r -b:1024 -z:db -a1: -i alsaplugin,0,0 -o guitar.wav -a:2
> > -i mix.wav -o alsaplugin,0,0
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm using kernel 2.4.2 with low latency patch and the disks are tuned -
> > not fast disks though. I have been able to get short recording but
> > usually there's an under-run. What would be the above command with alsahw
> > instead of alsaplugin? Also what exactly is the alsaplugin?
>
> Has the situation changed since this post? With ALSA 0.9x you'd issue "-i
> alsa,default" or "alsa,hw:0". And one thing, using -z:db is a bad idea
> when multitrack recording withe ecasound 2.0.x (and older). This is one
> major problem I want to fix in 2.1/2.

I think the problem was sound card related. Basically full duplex recording
with the awe32 seems out of the question. I'm now using the awe32 for input
and a trident for output(the trident doesn't record well with a sample rate
of 44100). There doesn't seem to be any noticable latency or sync problems.
Yes I've dropped the double buffer and have changed the buffer size to 64. At
the moment I've opted for using the /dev/dsp interface until alsa settles
down.

--
Luke Tindall