Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 22:37:31 EEST

Answering to an older message... btw; if you think I've missed some
important post to ecasound-list, please repost or send a note. I have my
mailboxes full of unanswered mail, and I now try to answer them in an
utilitarian way (ie. issues concerning majority of ecasound users have
priority).

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:

> I'm getting dropped samples with the following:
[...]
> ecasound -c -r -b:1024 -z:db -a1: -i alsaplugin,0,0 -o guitar.wav -a:2
> -i mix.wav -o alsaplugin,0,0
[...]
> I'm using kernel 2.4.2 with low latency patch and the disks are tuned - not
> fast disks though. I have been able to get short recording but usually
> there's an under-run. What would be the above command with alsahw instead of
> alsaplugin? Also what exactly is the alsaplugin?

Has the situation changed since this post? With ALSA 0.9x you'd issue "-i
alsa,default" or "alsa,hw:0". And one thing, using -z:db is a bad idea
when multitrack recording withe ecasound 2.0.x (and older). This is one
major problem I want to fix in 2.1/2.

> I know it's difficult to say what hardware requirement are needed for
> ecasound but given the above command, and low latency patches etc, what kind
> of set up can do a duplex recording with out drops. I tried with a trident
> card and an awe32(should have difficulty with full duplex)? My machine has
> has 200 mhz cpu, 96mb sdram. If the bottle neck is disk transfer speed, how
> many MB/sec do I need for both writng and reading? What kind of performance
> penalties can one expect if ide interface is shared?

I kind of suspect the ALSA driver version you were using at the time. I've
used my good ol' P166 to do _lots_ of recording with ecaosund without
problems. It has IDE-disks, 96MB RAM, sb128, so nothing special. I even
did some recordings on a very old 486 with early ecasound versions. So for
basic recording tasks, raw performance should not be a bottleneck.