Re: [ecasound] One more question

Subject: Re: [ecasound] One more question
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 23:53:40 EEST

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> wrote:

> (edi-17) Add bitrate parameter to mp3 objects.
> submitted: 30.09.2001, William Goldsmith
>
> The implementation I've thought about would look something like:
>
> ecasound -a:1,2 -i /dev/dsp \
> -a:1 -o hr_output.mp3,128000 \
> -a:2 -o lr_output.mp3,24000

The problem with this approach is that it only addresses one feature
selection (bitrate). What if someone wants to write one file downmixed
to mono and one stereo, or one as vbr and another as cbr? Lame as a
great many options and features so I'd think this approach is not
generic enough. What about:

ecasound -a:1,2 -i:/dev/dsp \
        -a:1 -o:hr_output.mp3,"-b 128" \
        -a:2 -o:lr_output.mp3,"-b 24"

So the argument to the name of the mp3 file is a quoted list of
switches to pass to the mp3 encoder instead. Beside having the
advantage of letting one tweak whatever parameter he wishes it also
avoids hard-coding the syntax which makes it more flexible if one
chooses to work with a different encoder.
What do you think?