Re: [ecasound] ecamegapedal

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecamegapedal
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 12:30:53 EEST

On 25 Sep 2001, Krzys Majewski wrote:

> ecamegapedal rocks.

That's good to hear! ;)

> How can I add effects to it?

You should add them to ecasound (or more precisely libecasound,
libecasound/audiofx*.{cpp,h}). Ecamegapedal can handle all effects present
in libecasound.

> I tried downloading LADSPA but not sure how to tell ecasound to use
> it. Also I think I need to add some .so's to LADSPA to make it
> useful?

Just installing the LADSPA SDK (www.ladspa.org) should be enough. The
plugins themselves are stored in shared library files (.so). They are
usually stored in /usr/local/lib/ladspa. To test whether ecasound finds
the plugins, issue:

echo "ladspa-register" | ecasound -c

You should get a list of all installed LADSPA plugins. If this doesn't
work, you need to make sure ecasound is compiled with LADSPA enabled (ie.
ladspa.h header was present when ecasound was compiled). The precompiled
rpm-binaries have this, but if you've compiled ecasound yourself, you
should recompile after installing the LADSPA SDK.

Also, check Dave Phillips' great article on Oreillynet:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/02/02/ladspa.html

Writing a new LADSPA plugin is probably the easiest way to add your own
effects to ecamegapedal. The API is well documented and there's plenty of
example code available.