[ecasound] ecamegapedal (3)

Subject: [ecasound] ecamegapedal (3)
From: Krzys Majewski (majewski_AT_cs.ubc.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 04:37:18 EEST

OK I'm really excited about this real-time dsp stuff. With a stock 2.4.9
kernel on a 500MHz PC I get pretty decent latency. (Good enough for
reverb/delay effects!)
Is ecamegapedal the state-of-the-art in real-time dsp for linux, or is
there other stuff I should check out? Web searches are pretty useless
because they show a tremendous amount of software, most of which,
based on my previous experience, probably doesn't work. (e.g. last
year I looked for a hard-disk editing tool, tried about 10, and
ecasound was the only one that worked.)

Also, just to compare, is there any ms-dog freeware/shareware/demo/warez
stuff I should be aware of, for recording and/or effects processing?
I've heard of something called "Soundforge", is that still where it's
at?

Last time I played around with this stuff was like 6 years ago on a
Mac running some very expensive hardware/software (not mine!)..

-chris