Re: [ecasound] Ecasound hangs the system

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound hangs the system
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 00:32:57 EEST

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

> TB Santa Cruz is ALSA 1,0 ===> /dev/dsp1
[...]
> When I did:
> ecasound -c -i wavefile.wav -o /dev/dsp1
[...]
> my system fully hangs. I need to press the reset buttom. I have no
> problems using /dev/dsp1 with other programs like Xmms,
> Soundtracker...

Ecasound uses a few more /dev/dsp API features than ST, XMMS and other
common apps, so it's possible that ecasound trigger an rare ALSA bug that
doesn't affect other apps. Probably a bug in the TB driver
somewhere. This might be a tough one to fix.. :(

> I unsuccesfully tried to use native ALSA compatibility.

What has been the problem? I think this is the easiest way to avoid kernel
deadlocks.