Re: [ecasound] First big multitrack project

Subject: Re: [ecasound] First big multitrack project
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 10:50:05 EEST

On Friday 27 July 2001 03:46, you wrote:
> Nolan Darilek <nolan_d@bigfoot.com> immo vero scripsit
>
> Hmm, what kernel do you use ?
> The linux kernel version seems to make a lot of difference on
> latency issues.

There does seem to be something wrong at the moment with latency. A few
months back I was able to succesfully record multi track although when using
a non latency kernel there would be over-runs. However I tried doing a
recording last week and the results were very dissapointing. There was huge
latency (we're talking in the region of 50-100 ms range) in the recorded
track eventhough there were no reports of over-runs ... this was with
alsaplugin device.

NB. I'm using 2.4.2 with low-latency, alsa 0.9.4 beta, ecasound2.01

> Also, my experience suggests that Alsa 0.9 series seems to be
> worse than Alsa 0.5 series in terms of latency...
> But my experience might be wrong.

In my case it's difficult to say difficult to say if this is alsa related or
changes in ecasound. I think I'm giong to upgrade kernel, alsa to the latest
version and then run some tests.

--
Luke Tindall