Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 11:11:20 EEST

On Friday 13 July 2001 10:03, Luke Tindall wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2001 22:25, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:
> > > Whilst ecawave works a treat, I really love the wave plot, ecamegapedal
> > > crashes my machine. I'm not sure what's going on though.
> >
> > Does the following also crash...?
> >
> > ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -b:256 -z:nointbuf

This worked with no real problems. But I'm getting crashes whan I start
experimenting with the aslahw devices in particular.

> I try to avoid using the oss devices in general and use either alsahw,0,0,0
> or alsaplugin,0,0,0. I usually leave the buffer set to default (1024, I
> think). I'll try /dev/dsp -b:256 -z:nointbuf this weekend and report back
> on monday.

I'm getting dropped samples with the following:

ecasound -c -r -b:1024 -z:db -a1: -i alsaplugin,0,0 -o guitar.wav -a:2 -i
mix.wav -o alsaplugin,0,0

I'm using kernel 2.4.2 with low latency patch and the disks are tuned - not
fast disks though. I have been able to get short recording but usually
there's an under-run. What would be the above command with alsahw instead of
alsaplugin? Also what exactly is the alsaplugin?

I know it's difficult to say what hardware requirement are needed for
ecasound but given the above command, and low latency patches etc, what kind
of set up can do a duplex recording with out drops. I tried with a trident
card and an awe32(should have difficulty with full duplex)? My machine has
has 200 mhz cpu, 96mb sdram. If the bottle neck is disk transfer speed, how
many MB/sec do I need for both writng and reading? What kind of performance
penalties can one expect if ide interface is shared?

--
Luke Tindall