Re: [ecasound] getting rid of libqtecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] getting rid of libqtecasound
From: Per Andersson (Artifex@europe.com)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 12:06:14 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Number one reason is that the current ecawave -> qtecasound -> ecasound
> dependency chain has caused a lot of problems. I get "what rpms I need to
> install for ecawave" questions quite often nowadays. Getting ecawave to run
> shouldn't be this difficult, and I don't think I can blame the users on
> this.

This is indeed a major problem with open source today. Shared source and
shared libraries are great inventions, but overdoing it creates extra work
for the developers and sometimes makes it impossible
for some users to install it. The effort (and time and modem phone costs)
needed to find packages and
install them (and their dependencies ...) is often too large, especially
since it often leads to conflicts
with other installed software. These problems are of cause not always obvious
for the the developer,
(most systems comes with a recent version of lib_some_new_and_fancy_stuff,
don't they?).
Unfortunately installing the software is often the only way to find out what
the program is all about,
or if it is useful or interesting.

Copying a few lines of GPL code is often much better than requiring some
specific version of a library.
Let us reduce the dependency madness!

    Per Andersson

Artifex consulting