[ecasound] getting rid of libqtecasound

Subject: [ecasound] getting rid of libqtecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 09:17:12 EEST

Maintaining a shared library can be hard work and in libqtecasound's case
it has proved to be too much for me. I now I want to get rid of it
altogether and return to cut'n'paste sharing between qtecasound and
ecawave. As this might feel like a step back, I'll explain my reasons in
detail.

Number one reason is that the current ecawave -> qtecasound -> ecasound
dependency chain has caused a lot of problems. I get "what rpms I need to
install for ecawave" questions quite often nowadays. Getting ecawave to
run shouldn't be this difficult, and I don't think I can blame the users
on this. After this change, ecawave would only depend on the main ecasound
package. This seems like a much better alternative to me.

I don't have time to produce really valuable content (ie. complex widgets
like envelope editors, etc) to the library, so it's very unlikely that any
3rd party developers want to use libqtecasound. So this means
libqtecasound is only used by my own qt-ecasound projects (ie. only
qtecasound and ecawave). But as it is a shared library, I still have to
worry about library interface versioning, change control, etc, etc ... I
think my time is better spent on working on libecasound.

Libqtecasound is quite a small library (18 classes, about ~1800 lines of
code). In addition, some of this code is only used by one application
(qtecasound or ecawave), and thus is not really shared. As qtecasound and
ecawave themselves are quite small, the overhead caused by duplicating old
libqtecasound code won't be a problem.

It might also be wise to separate qtecasound and ecamegapedal. Like
ecawave, both would only depend on the main ecasound package.

Comments?