Re: [ecasound] Best way to record

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Best way to record
From: Nolan Darilek (nolan_d@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 22:59:36 EEST

    S> Setting the record volume anywhere above zero implies some sort
    S> of (pre)amplification of the signal that's fed in which is what
    S> you want to avoid as much as possible. BTW, I was talking about
    S> the hw mixer on the card (if you can call that a mixer) not the

Just a brief followup:

I managed to get this working. Initially I had set the input gain on
the card to 30% and, since this caused some degree of clipping, I
turned down the pickups on my guitar. This eliminated the clipping,
but the signal between my guitar and preamp was greatly decreased, and
I'm guessing that since the preamp didn't have as much signal to work
with, the resulting sound was tinny and weak.

Setting the input gain to 0% mutes the sound, but setting it to 1%
gives me a good, strong guitar tone, despite the fact that aumix -q
indicates that igain is still at 0%. Go figure. :) I'd hoped that
unmuting the input gain but leaving it at 0 would pass the signal
through unprocessed, but apparently ALSA doesn't agree with my twisted
logic. :)

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.