Re: [ecasound] [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA vocoder plugin (fwd)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA vocoder plugin (fwd)
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 23:10:12 EEST

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> wrote:

> Ok, here's the vocoder. I had lots of fun with the following ecasound
> script:
>
> --cut--
> #!/bin/sh
> ecasound -c \
> -a:bus1 -f:16,1,44100 -i amen.ewf -eac:0,2 \
> -a:bus2 -f:16,1,44100 -i /dev/dsp -erm:2 -eac:0,1 \
> -a:bus1,bus2 -f:16,2,44100 -o loop,1 \
> -a:bus3 \
> -f:16,2,44100 -i loop,1 \
> -f:16,2,44100 -o /dev/dsp \
> -el:vocoder,6,0.7,1,1,1,1,0.8 -eac:0,2 -ea:1000
> --cut--
>
> Warning!!! Be careful with the volume levels. I had to add -ea:1000
> (yup, that's 1000% amplify) to hear the results, but
> this also produces _nasty_ blasts of noise when
> starting ecasound (something wrong with the loop dev code
> I think)
Yes, that's nothing new, although it's particularly obvious with that
example; but at least it's now possible to use -z:db with loops, whereas
it just crashed if you tried this before.

> 'amen.ewf' is the classsic amen drumloop (looping enabled in ewf) Now then
> just plug your guitar (or whatever you have connected to line in) and
> start controlling the drumloop. This is especially fun with a heavily
> distorted guitar sound... :)
Yes, indeed, and it seems to be very sensitive as well: even changing pickup
produces a noticeable change in the sound. If you want even more fun, do a
couple slides on your guitar and smile as you hear the pitch tracking down.

BTW, do you experience noticeable latency with the above setup, I can't seem
to be able to get anything better than a 300-500 ms latency with the vocoder
plugin in the chain. :(