[ecasound] Best way to record

Subject: [ecasound] Best way to record
From: Nolan Darilek (nolan_d@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 02:13:09 EEST

Ok, maybe I don't have this recording thing figured out. :) In my last
message I complained that my recordings were all soft, that trying to
raise the volume on my soundcard caused clipping despite the fact that
the signal sounds great live. S. Massy recommends not using my
soundcard's mixer to amplify my sound, and this is where I'm
confused. :)

My setup: POD Pro amp modeler running into the line in on my sblive
value. I'm not entirely sure about the connecting cable, but I'll
trust it for the time-being since I did purchase it from the music
store and the salesman knew I'd be using it for recording. (If the
cable is bad, can anyone recommend a good brand/cable, since I'll
probably be picking up a few more things and do need a few cables.)

Anyhow, what I did was set the line in on my soundcard to record, and
set its volume at 100%. This sounds great live. I then set the input
gain to 0% and tried recording. This doesn't work and I get pure white
noise. The POD's settings are maxed out, and I can't get it any
louder. Therefore, it seems as if something needs to happen on the
soundcard's end in order to increase volume. Since igain apparently
needs to be > 0, I'm assuming something needs to amplify the signal,
or maybe I'm not capturing on the correct channel? I've set the master
volume to capture and have used ecasound to record audio; I've taken
soundclips from videos and converted MIDIs to wavs via this method,
but it seems to work differently for recording. (IOW, I still
need to have igain set to something nonzero.) I'd hoped that the good
live sound would be captured if I used this method, but it doesn't
seem to be.

I've also considered hooking the POD into the mic in, would this
accomplish anything? I'm really not sure what to do at this point, and
before I purchase more cables I'd like to make sure I'm doing
everything right.

BTW, I'm using ALSA 0.9.0b3.