Re: [ecasound] Recording louder

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Recording louder
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 21:39:36 EEST

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Nolan Darilek <nolan_d@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Currently I have a pod pro which I use for guitars and vocals, running
> into the line in on my sblive value. My box is connected with my home
> stereo system, and with the line in set to 100% my guitar sounds
> fairly good over my speakers. The problems which I'm having seem to
> crop up during recording only.
>
> I initially tried setting my input gain high, (90%) but there's an
> extreme amount of clipping when the audio is recorded and played back,
> despite the fact that the guitar still sounds great live. I need to
> drop my igain to 30% or so, and even then I experience a tiny amount
> of clipping. I've created a fairly good guitar EQ preset which adds
> some additional crunch to the sound, but even after EQ'ing and
> normalizing the sound is extremely weak. Compared to the live sound,
> the recorded sound is faint and doesn't pack the same amount of
> power. Mixing with drums and a bassline seems to bring the entire mix
> down in volume, and the guitar tracks are drowned by the other sounds.
>
> The problem would be solved if I could increase my igain to a high
> level I'm assuming, but I really don't know much about recording and
> am not sure how to do that and avoid clipping. Using the volume knobs
> on my guitar/pod doesn't seem to solve the problem; while I can raise
> the levels on the card, the lowered levels of the pod/guitar seem to
> destroy any benefits. I've heard recordings done with a pod and they
> sound awesome, so I'm convinced that it's possible to get more volume
> with less clipping, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?
Don't use your soundcard's mixer to amplify the signal you'll just _kill_ it!
Keep it as low as possible and crank the output on your amp instead. As for
the weakness of you recorded signal it could be a lot of thing, for instance,
are you sure the cable between your amp and soundcard is to be trusted?