Re: [ecasound] transform time to frequency / frequency range analyzation

Subject: Re: [ecasound] transform time to frequency / frequency range analyzation
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 01:17:57 EEST

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Frank Meurer wrote:

> Is it possible to make a FFT or DCT transformation of a sound file?

At the moment no. Sound analysis features have had lower priority as
there's so much good software already available for Linux, ranging from
simple fft-analysis performed mp3 players like xmms to big analysis
packages like Aglaophone, Scilab, Sculptor, etc, etc ... you should also
check snd (the soundfile editor). It has quite nice fft features. The
whole big list is available at:

        http://www.linuxsound.at/dsp.html

> I have (input) a sound file. I want (output) a frequency analyzation of
> the whole file or a part of it (with each frequency range of ?-Hz as a
> statistic mean value of the analyzed time range). The output can be a list
> of values on stdout or maybe a visualization in ecawave.

You should also check the LADSPA plugin sets. At least few of the plugins
already use fft-libraries, so it might be relatively easy to develop your
own analysis plugins...